02 May 2009

Saturday night

Saturday night at home, 9:30pm. Don Giovanni is on Lyric FM, recorded from a live performance earlier this year at the Gaiety Theatre, Dublin, and presented in its entirety tonight.  I just finished dinner, a scrawny but delicious Irish free range roast chicken, along with some asparagus from Spain. I'm mostly packed up for my trip to the Slievebloom Mountains tomorrow, where I'll join the annual walking festival. Today I worked at Ballinderry for several hours, then visited Nodlaig, wife of my third cousin Charlie (he died about four years ago) for tea in her cluttered kitchen.
 Before dinner tonight I bought a bread knife at Tesco, as I couldn't face any more days of filing away at the marvelous housemade granary loaves from the local deli with a wholly inadequate paring knife. In the morning I'll make a sandwich from the leftover chicken to take on the walk.
Finally, I am settled here, one month to the day from my arrival.

1 comment:

  1. Mom, it sounds perfectly lovely. I just wish we were all there to share it with you (though it sounds like the chicken might not have gone around!). I hope the walking festival is fun! The Slievebloom Mountains sure sound idyllic. loving you-

    ReplyDelete